[ale] Mounting a partition world writable?

S. Eric Asberry eric at sedonna.com
Thu Jun 17 18:26:39 EDT 1999

OK, I probably should know the answer to this, but I can't seem to figure
it out.  I will probably end up feeling quite silly (isn't that what
computers are for?)

I'm running Vmware (which is fantastic by the way!) and using Samba to
access some of my (dare I utter the word?) Windows partitions from the NT
virtual machine.  My question arises in this context, though the answer
really has nothing to do with either Vmware or Samba.

My question is: when I mount a filesystem as root in Linux (in this case,
two FAT32  and one FAT ZIP disk) how do I specify that this filesystem
should be world writable?

Once mounted, I have no problem reading the file system as any user
(including via Samba), and I have no problem writing to it as root, but I
want to be able to write to it through Samba, too.  I've tried changing the
permissions on the actual mount point, itself, but this doesn't seem to
matter.  Once it's mounted, it shows rwx for root at rx for everybody else.

I'm probably being dense, but I couldn't seem to find the answer to this in
the mount man page or in my RedHat unleashed book.

Thanks, and please be gentle.  :)

Eric