[ale] hmm, some ?'s

Dave Brooks dbrooks at comstar.net
Wed Jun 16 12:44:57 EDT 1999

Tri wrote:

> I was wondering what these files do. I find them in my /boot directory:
> boot.b
> boot.0302
> System.map
> map
> chain.b
> os2_d.b

Not so sure myself -- I just know not to touch them.  Doing so will
surely cause instant death.

> also I recompile my kernel like this.
> make mrproper
> "Here I run xconfig and configure the kernel"
> make dep
> make zImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot zImage /boot/vmlinuz-"kernelversion"
> "then I edit my lilo.conf"
> lilo
> reboot

Looks like you're missing a 'make clean'in there after your 'make dep'
command.  Also, if you're compiling a newer kernel (i.e., 2.0.36+ or
2.2.x), you're almost sure to need to run 'make bzImage' instead of
'make zImage' simply because of the sheer size of the kernel produced
after compiling.

--
David A. Brooks
Engineering