[ale] IDE (Intergrated development environment)

Mike Kachline kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 11 00:04:06 EDT 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Tri wrote:

> Ok I just got "The C programming language" from amazon. Now I'm looking
> for a IDE that I can learn real fast so that I can finally get into
> learning the language instead of fiddling around with settings. I tried
> to use emacs, but I don't have the time to learn it.
<snip>

	My recommendation would be to learn either vim or emacs. However,
to tide you over in your short term hacking frenzies, search the net for a
utility called "xwpe". It's got a very Borland'ish look and feel and
offers spiffy features like pulling up man pages for whatever function
your cursor is currently over on "F1", color syntax highlighting, and so
forth.

	...I'm serious about the vi / emacs part though. Take the time to
learn one or the other. The longer you continue running Unix, the more you
will realize how these two packages are very nicely integrated for the
environment. (I especially like emacs' feature of being able to do CVS
checkins, checkouts and so forth).

							- Mike
Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net
http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline