[ale] smbmount,2.3.4,backup

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Jun 10 14:20:46 EDT 1999

"Gary S. Mackay" wrote:

> After two months of searching docs, how-to's, and dejanews, I still can not
> get smbmount to work on the 2.3.4 kernel. I have samba 2.0.3, have compiled
> samba with the --with-smbmount option, etc, etc. I know the syntax changed
> somewhat from the old samba, but just can not get it working. Has anyone been
> able to?

I'm running 2.2.1 kernel and have samba installed.  I use
/usr/sbin/smbmount to mount a number of drives via my ISDN network.
What kind of errors do you get?

> My primary goal is to use my NT box (a necessary evil for my job) which has a
> 15gig hard drive as a backup. I'd like to setup a cron job to mount a 'backup'
> share, copy the ENTIRE linux drive to it (that's another unknown at the
> moment), and then unmount.

Kinda scary to attempt to use an NT box to retain your Linux backup.
I'm afraid you might have some problems with case sensitivity issues,
although I've not thought it out too well.  As I recall, NT keeps case
sensitivity, but ignores it so that "foo" is the same file as "Foo".
I'm not sure how Samba deals with this, since, I believe this is 'file
system' specific.  I do a similar thing, but the other way around.  Of
course I've got the space on my Linux box.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl