[ale] [Fwd: ppp on mindspring]

Eric Z. Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 8 07:57:03 EDT 1999

Here is my mindspring dialout setup. I'm using Red Hat 5.2 with a
version of PPP that will bring up the link whenever I have a packet to
send.  If you don't want this, take out the 'demand' and 'idle 300' options:

in /etc/rc.d/rc.local I have one line:

pppd /dev/modem 115200 asyncmap 00000000 crtscts modem demand idle 300 connect /etc/ppp/mindspring.chat :168.121.1.1 defaultroute

I made a dialout script in  /etc/ppp/mindspring.chat:

#!/bin/bash
#
DEVICE=modem
CHAT=/usr/sbin/chat
PPPD=/usr/sbin/pppd

PASSWORD="youwantmypasswd?"
USERNAME="foo at mindspring.com"

CONSOLE=`tty`
(
	stty 115200 -tostop
        echo -n "Dialing..."
        ${CHAT} -t 120  ABORT "NO DIALTONE" ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY ABORT "ERROR" "" ATS7=45S0=0V1E1Q0M0 OK ATDT4042873038 CONNECT "" "ogin" "$USERNAME" "assword" "$PASSWORD" "PPP"

)</dev/modem >/dev/modem

No, they don't seem to use chap or pap.

-Eric.