[ale] Re: [svlug] Mixing IDE and SCSI

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Jun 5 18:24:30 EDT 1999

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, J. Reeves Hall wrote:

> Russ Emerson wrote:
>
> > This never occurred to me before, but can Linux deal with mixed IDE and
> > SCSI hard drives all in one box?  I presume so, but I don't *know*.  There
> > is not, that I can find, a HOW-TO that addresses this 'problem'.
>
> Yes, it can be done. The IDE's are /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc, and the SCSI devs
> are /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc... Just put the mount points in /etc/fstab.
> I've never done this with hard drives, but I have used a SCSI CD-ROM before.
> Ironically the PCMCIA->SCSI->CDROM setup was a LOT easier under Linux
> (completely plug and play on the first try) whereas Windows crashed
> repeatedly when I tried to do the same thing :)

I am doing this successfully, with a 1.6GB IDE HDD, a 1.2GB SCSI HDD, a
Zip drive (parallel, but registers as SCSI) and an IDE CDROM.  My
/etc/fstab looks like this:

/dev/hda1       swap            swap        defaults             1   1
/dev/sda2       swap            swap        defaults             1   1
/dev/hda2       /               ext2        defaults             1   1
/dev/hda3       /home           ext2        defaults             1   1
/dev/sda1       /aux2           ext2        noauto,user          1   1
/dev/hda4	/aux1           ext2        defaults             1   1
/dev/sdb1       /zip            ext2        noauto,user          1   1
/dev/sdb4       /zfat           vfat        noauto,user,uid=1000 1   1
/dev/hdd	/cdrom		iso9660     noauto,user          1   1
/dev/fd0        /floppy         vfat        noauto,user,uid=1000 1   1
/dev/fd1	/legacy		vfat        noauto,user,uid=1000 1   1
none            /proc           proc        defaults             1   1

...as you can see, the SCSI HDD is /dev/sda, and the zip drive is
/dev/sdb.  This is a very nice arrangement, because it gives me the
ability to have IO intensive apps (multimedia) read from one drive and
write to the other, and the data never crosses paths.  Also, having the
spanned swap space is kind of nice, but I have noticed that my machine
hardly ever touches /dev/sda2.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
US Troops out of Kosovo NOW!