[ale] Re: [svlug] Mixing IDE and SCSI

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Sat Jun 5 17:11:34 EDT 1999

Russ Emerson wrote:

> This never occurred to me before, but can Linux deal with mixed IDE and
> SCSI hard drives all in one box?  I presume so, but I don't *know*.  There
> is not, that I can find, a HOW-TO that addresses this 'problem'.

Yes, it can be done. The IDE's are /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc, and the SCSI devs
are /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc... Just put the mount points in /etc/fstab.
I've never done this with hard drives, but I have used a SCSI CD-ROM before.
Ironically the PCMCIA->SCSI->CDROM setup was a LOT easier under Linux
(completely plug and play on the first try) whereas Windows crashed
repeatedly when I tried to do the same thing :)

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
Linux. Because I have better things to do than worry about Y2K.