[ale] In search of Linunx 5.2 compatible modems. . . .

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Thu Jun 3 11:48:10 EDT 1999

"Neil (The UniLink Group, Inc.)" wrote:

> I seem to have run into an end of 5.2 compatible modems.  I think I've tried
> everywhere; however, you never know until you ask the group. . .
>
> I've gone as far as to find out what Dell is installing on the Linux
> installs they are putting together..
>
> The more I try it seems the darker it gets. . .  "I need about 50 ISA based
> system Jumpers modem in the short term.  However; over the year I'll need
> APROX. 500 Qt. . . .
>
> This is Mission Critical to our company.  As it is our life blood!
>
> Please any input would be helpful!!!!!
>
> Thanks Neil / Network - Admin. . . .

a) You're looking for kernel 2.0.36 compatible modems; there's no such thing as
Linux 5.2, at least not yet :)
b) Almost any external modem is "standard". I'm using a USRobotics Sportster
external on my Linux box and it works well. I prefer externals anyway; I like
to be able to reset them without resetting the computer.
c) There *are* still jumperable ISA modems. I bought one not too long ago. Go
to Fry's or some other superstore and ask for a non-Winmodem. Last time I
checked they had 3 different models that were not software-based.`
d) ISA Plug and Pray *is* supported, but it's a pain to configure.
e) Several companies make multiport serial cards that are supported under
Linux. You could use one of these for multiple external modems on one machine.
Check the kernel documentation for a list of supported cards. I think the
Digiboard is included.

Good luck!
-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
Linux. Because I have better things to do than worry about Y2K.