[ale] C programming books

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jun 2 20:19:08 EDT 1999

Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

> Wandered Inn wrote:
> >
> > Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> > > Just take advantage of it's easier to use constructs, type
> > > safety, great standard library (strings and containers oh my!) and
> > > you'll be a good bit further along than with plain old C. Its also
> > > much easier for a new programmer to learn than C.
> >
> > I disagree, but that's my opinion.  It's not really the language it's
> > the paradigm.  If you're not going to program OO, there's no sense in
> > going with C++ over C.
>
>         C++ is a multi-paradigm languages (cf. Coplien's "Multi-Paradigm
> Design for C++"). You may use it as a better C (with handy new
> keywords and type safety), an OO language (ala Java, SmallTalk), a
> functional language (ala ML), an efficient and flexible scientific
> computation language (replacing FORTRAN), or a combination of the
> above. C is a portable assembly language when used as intended. C++
> can be that as well (although its lack of a standard ABI sometimes is
> a problem). This makes it (C) fine for low level system code (like
> Linux kernel and most GNU stuff) but generally not the most
> appropriate tool outside of this scope.
>
> > > Besides, it pays
> > > better.
> >
> > I don't know about that.  There's no difference in pay (where I work)
> > between a C coder and a C++ coder. There's a huge amount of C code out
> > there and there's still quite a demand for it.  I don't think this is
> > his interest, but maybe.
>
>         Same can be said of COBOL! Anyway it was just a s(n)ide remark on my
> part but a true one. Obviously your company is not a C++ shop. Take
> ten companies, 5 C shops and 5 C++ shops, and the C++ shops will
> generally pay 15 to 40% more for programmers with a similar level of
> expertise in their respective language. Of course, I see that some
> companies are paying competitive rates for Visual Basic programmers
> who are not necessarily as competent either... YMMV!

Hmmm, actually my company has both C++ and C programmers, quite a few.
My company pays more for expertise and the issue of supply and demand
comes in to play as well.  I suspect MY company is LARGER then yours...
:) and that may well come into play...

Regarding VB programmers, the language you use generally has little to
do with your competency.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl