[ale] Upgrading to RH6.0 w/o the cost

J. Reeves Hall reeves at earthling.net
Wed Jun 2 11:59:47 EDT 1999

Jeffery B Layton wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm immediately showing my ignorance, but that won't stop me
> from asking my question. I'm currently running RH5.2 and want
> to upgrade to RH6.0, but I don't want to spend $70 for it (or
> the even cheaper $40)! I've seen several adds for cheap RH6.0
> GPL CDs (around $5). My question is, do I just use these CD's
> as I would the normal CD's with the expensive RH? If so, do
> they come with a Boot Disk, and if not, is it easy to make one
> for RH6.0?

Grab a www.cheapbytes.com CD (or buy one from a LUG - I know NTLUG sells
distro CD's really cheap at the meetings) and use dd (or rawrite from
DOS) to create the boot disks. Insert a blank (preferably tested for bad
sectors) floppy into fd0, and run:
  dd if=/mnt/cdrom/images/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
Do the same for supp.img. The path name may be wrong here; I think it's
in the images/ directory, but look around if it's not.

After that it should be a normal installation procedure. And if all else
fails, you can always RTF5.2M - I doubt it's changed that much.

-Reeves

--
In a world without fences, why do we need Gates?
Linux. Because I have better things to do than worry about Y2K.