[ale] Upgrading to RH6.0 w/o the cost

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Wed Jun 2 13:24:58 EDT 1999

Jeff -

I too went the CheapBytes route, ordering an RH6.0 CD plus the archive CD set.
You've probably seen in others' responses that you can make boot and bootnet
floppies from it on any DOS PC with a working CD-ROM drive.  I also had some
success with going into a system's BIOS and making it boot straight to the
CD-ROM drive; there are some BIOSses that don't handle the boot floppy well and
I've gotten around that with this method.

Right now at work I have one active RH5.2 machine.  I've copied the RH6.0 CD to
it and done over-the-network installs on other machines from it, starting by
booting from the bootnet floppy.  I haven't had very much luck doing this via
NFS but I have done OK via anonymous FTP.  Installations go very quickly that
way, especially if the serving machine has fast drives.

Good luck!

- Jeff

Jeffery B Layton <g593851 at yogi.mar.lmco.com> on 06/02/99 10:52:08 AM