[ale] More crontab woes

JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM
Thu Jul 29 11:57:54 EDT 1999

I am playing around with a perl script that does an X window dump then
converts it to .GIF format. The code is below:

#!/usr/bin/perl

system("xwd -root -out image.xwd");
system("xwdtopnm image.xwd |ppmquant -fs 256 | ppmtogif -interlace >
image.gif");

The problem I am having is that the system will not do the dump when run
from cron(?). I have setup PATH in the crontab file to reflect the paths of
all the commands involved (note: xwd is located at /usr/X11R6/bin while the
others are at /usr/bin so I have tried cp the file to /usr/bin as well). I
have even changed the script to include the full paths of the commands. In
all cases the command can be run from the command line and executed by the
Perl script with no problems. However like I said when I schedule it to be a
cron job it refuses to create the "image.xwd" file and skips to the next
line. I have also tried to put a few "sleeps" in there but no help.

Any help would be appreciated

Randy