[ale] NFS-client, real slow <--why ?

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Thu Jul 22 01:11:54 EDT 1999

What kind of client ?

NFS2 / NFS3 / TCP / UDP ?

Are there any special caching timeouts / read write blocks associated
with the clients mount command ?
( Best to mail the mount table entry)

And just to make sure - you talking about "ls -l" in the same
directory as the other clients?
( How many entries are in that directory ?)

The worst thing I have ever seen was UDP fragments were arriving
faster at the clients Ethernet than the Ethernet card  could handle.
( Lost fragments -> retry -> lost fragments ... )

Setting read/write sizes to 1024 was the only solution it this case.
( Or heavy network traffic :-)

	Stephan