[ale] more on VMware

Lisa Chiang gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net
Sun Jul 11 22:25:34 EDT 1999

Well I finally decided to install the guest OS (Win98) in the VM which is
actually a file under Linux in a subdirectory.  I got MS Office and installed
it and it seems to work fine even though it is only Office 95 where as the OS
is Win98.

The speed was poor until I download VMTools and the new Windows SVGA driver,
both provided by VMWare.  Now my Windows apps seem to run fairly speedily. For
full screen mode however, VMWare suggests that you download their modified
version of XFree86.  I haven't done this yet.

Now if I can just get the networking working properly, ... Anyway, this
approach seems to be very promising as now I have access to my two Windows apps
and all my Lunix stuff without having to reboot.  If this works as well as I
think it will, I'm going to strip off the old Win98 install and turn that
partition into a linux partition.

 --
Lisa Chiang
gt6492d at gatech.campuscwix.net