[ale] New Kernel 2.2.0

Ryan Frank ryanf at tr.comm.mot.com
Thu Jan 28 12:35:54 EST 1999

Ok, So I compiled the new kernel 2.2.0 this morning... Yes I do feel cool
now... The speed increase is dramatic!  However I have run into a few
issues here... And I feel I may be doing something wrong... Here are the
steps I take and the results I get.

1. removed the existing /usr/src/linux-2.0.36 directory (Probably where I
went wrong but let me finish :)
2. in  /usr/src  tar -xvf linux-2_2_0_tar
3. from /usr/src/linux ran make menuconfig
4. make dep
5. make modules
6. make modules_install
7. make clean
8. make bzImage
9. I copy the kernel to a new directory...

In lilo.conf I use the following  config...

Image=/kernel/bzImage
	Label=2.2
	Root = /dev/sda1
Initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img
	Read-only

I then run LILO and it adds the entry... Right now I can see two potential
problems and I am wondering what I should do...

#1.  The removal of the usr/src/linux-2.0.36 directory, I do not believe
that is necessary (I always make a BU before I delete).  Please let me know
if just Un-Taring the archive in its own dir and running make from that dir
will work...

#2.  The initrd=/boot/initrd-2.0.36-0.7.img, this seems wrong... Is there
one for 2.2.0?  Do I need it?  What is it (Assuming RamDisk image)?  How
can I create/get a new one :)

Little bit about the hardware and me... Dual PII, 512mb ram, 2x 4.5gb Scsi,
3.2gb IDE... 3C509, Matrox, Adaptec, OPL3 sound.  Me? Kinda weird kernel
compiling freak...  NT guy by day, Linux by night :)  knows enough to be
REAL dangerous... Any help, very much appreciated....

-Ryan
System Administration
Motorola Corp.
847-576-7729