[ale] My problem just got worse :(

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed Jan 27 20:52:47 EST 1999

Original problem: The system crashed frequently regardless of the OS. DOS
and Win3.1 installed fine, but then crashed when run. Linux crashed
during install with a Sig11.

New problem: Well, I tried some suggestions given, and now the system
seems to have taken a turn for the worse. :( First, I tried installing
DOS, and it crashed soon after it began the second disk. So then I
proceeded on with hardware.  I tried taking out the sound card and
disconnecting the CD-ROM. Then, before I turned it on, I realized that
because of the way the cable is, I had to have the CD-ROM plugged in for
the HD. So I ended up just taking out the sound card. When I took it out,
the BIOS started freezing when I went into it. I put the sound card back
in and it stopped temporarily. I tried several different I/O cards(None
of which I can guarantee are good.), and they all seemed to complain
about one thing or the other, so I put the original one back in. I then
went into BIOS and set it for the fail-safe option and rebooted. It
started complaining again, so I went to restore my settings in BIOS. It
started freezing again, every time after I started to fix my options or
even scroll down the list. I then took the battery out for 5 minutes, and
reinserted. Then when I reboot it tells me I need to set system settings
in BIOS, so I try to do so. I ended up doing 1 or 2 per session just to
make sure I would get them saved. Eventually, as soon as I changed one it
would freeze. Now, it can no longer detect the hard drive, and it won't
get past the initial screen to where it is supposed to display the basic
BIOS settings shown during the boot process. Is the battery dead?(It is
an old board, so it is possible), or do I have another problem?

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]