[ale] Sig11 w/RH Install (among others)

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Jan 24 22:56:58 EST 1999

Michael B Golden wrote:

>         I have probably got another problem with my hardware,

I recently had a similar problem.  Turns out, one stick of memory went
bad.  What you might try and is eliminate as much hardware as you can
and see if it will still boot.  I had to remove half my memory, then
shuffle it around before I could figure out what the problem was.  I
also downloaded a memory testing program (memtest86 - courteously
pointed to by ALE members) which identified problems with memory.  You
might start with this to test your memory.  My bios would run right
through the short memory test it does without a problem.  memtest86
consistently identified a problem.  Between it and moving my memory
sticks around, I was able to identify the bad part.  Already shipped it
off and received my life time warranty replacement.

I don't know how your memory is configured, but if you are able to
remove some of it, then reboot, you might at least be able to reduce the
variables.  The sig11 web site indicates that when this is a hardware
problem, that it can be just about anything in your box, so it's
probably going to take some time to figure it out.

If you have other hardware available, another box possibly, you might
try swapping some of the goods, from one to the other.

frustrating times, as it's difficult to nail the sig11 problem down.  If
you stick at it, you should be able to resolve it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????