[ale] 3COM PROB - Continues - Help Please

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 20 18:36:06 EST 1999

-----Original Message-----
 From:	joe [SMTP:joe at linuxgeneralstore.com]
Sent:	Wednesday, January 20, 1999 2:58 PM
To:	ale at ale.org
Subject:	Re: [ale] 3COM PROB - Continues - Help Please

Hi, this is Matt.  Joe asked me to look that his problem with the IBM
ThinkPad.  I have a feeling that linux is seing enough of the unsupported
MWave card to know there is a resource conflict.  The problem with the
MWave card (as I understand it) is that it requires some sort windows
driver to control it.

Its very similar to a winmodem

There is enough actual hardware there it seems
possible to create a linux driver for it, but I'm not sure if anyone
will.  Its always possible these days that IBM themselves might create a
driver.  If possible (doubt you can easily get into the BIOS from my
experiance) disable the MWave card in BIOS.  It might be worth a call to
IBM's help desk to get into BIOS for this.

I am ibm help desk ...
Hold the F1 key to get into the bios but its useless for what your looking
for, Its mostly just diagnostic stuff, all the settings are handled through
thinkpad config/features

 If that isn't a option, you
can try to disable it in windows control panel.  It will probably be
listed under modem, and just uncheck 'device enabled' or something like
that.  If that keeps between boots, it might be enough to get it to work.
An unfortunate side effect of this would be to probably disable the IRDA
port at the same time.  It might also be possible to disable the card in
the IBM ThinkPad configuration tool that they give you for windows.

Try disabling IR and Serial in tp config (referenced above) and see if it
takes one of those slots.
Factory default is to have IR as com1, Serial Disabled, make sure they are
both disabled, then you *should* be able to get the modem on com1, leaving
the mwave crap on com2. Or you could move the mwave to com3, enable IR or
Serial, and stick the modem on com2

I forgot to ask around at work today, but Ill try tomorrow, Let me know if
you (Or anyone) Needs more help putting linux on thinkpads

Nick

ps. I apologize for the xmailer, but my computer hangs on my adaptec card
in linux and I havent had time to look into it.

The page that Nick Lucent mentioned earlier on the list has some good info
for the ThinkPad 600. In case you missed it, it is
http://www.levien.com/tp600.html.  The note on the page about undefining a
section to get APM and suspend/hibernate working correctly is very useful
and works on some other models of IBM ThinkPads.

Joe DeVita                         Founder
Linux General Store   "Where Cyberspace and Real space meet"
798 Marietta St.       404-881-8090 voice  404-881-0640 fax
Atlanta GA 30318        http://www.linuxgeneralstore.com