[ale] Sound recording software

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Mon Jan 18 14:09:20 EST 1999

Can anyone recommend a good sound recorder?  I need it to be able to
record files larger than the RAM size, (i.e. straight to disk) and it does
not need to be fancy (in fact, something controlled by command line would
be fine).  It needs to be able to record at 32000, 44100 and possibly
48000, in 16-bit stereo.  .WAV format output would be find, so would raw.

It needs to be interruptable.  If it is pausable, that is even better, but
not mandatory.  It should also have a way to stop automatically after a
certain length of time, e.g. I should be able to tell it to run for one
hour, after which it stops.

I intend to use it in conjunction with bladeenc to make .mp3 files from
non-digital source media, as well as to use it for destination media from
my mixing board, where a now-defunct reel-to-reel deck previously sat.  I
would also like to be able to use it to record programming from the radio,
which I can put on zip disks and later listen to at work.

Any advice would be helpful.

Regards,

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Stealing is illegal... the government hates competition.