[ale] Compaq To 'Test Drive' Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Jan 18 10:37:51 EST 1999

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 Stan.Hearn at ipst.edu wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/news/0,4538,2188401,00.html
>
> "Slated for availability in March, Compaq Japan will bundle its midrange
> servers
> with Pacific HiTech's Linux operating system and an Oracle Corp. database,
> among other applications..."

Also see <http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,385256,00.html>,
where Compaq will be shipping RH 5.2 preinstalled servers with 24x7 support.

Compaq, Dell, and IBM have been pre-installing Linux for about a year or so
now if you asked them nicely.  The difference is that now they're going to
have server lines devoted to Linux that they churn off the assembly line,
and that they support.

Now if we could just persuade Gateway so I could get a free cow mousepad w/
my next Linux box ;-).

later,
chris