[ale] qmail help?

Robbie Honerkamp robbie at opus.shorty.com
Wed Jan 13 08:23:43 EST 1999

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 08:58:18PM -0700, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
>   On my local machine to my local machine it's working nicely.  The problem
> occurs when I try to deliver remotely to my host.  The remote host says
> the connection is refused.  When I try to "telnet localhost 25" I get a
> connection refused:
>
> {0}:wally:/var/qmail/bin>telnet localhost  25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...

Make sure you added the smtp line in inetd.conf:

  smtp stream tcp nowait qmaild /usr/sbin/tcpd /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

and HUP inetd.

OR, if you're using tcpserver instead of inet to start Qmail, make sure that
you're starting tcpserver (change paths and other settings (-u, -g) to match
your system):

  /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -R -s/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c100 -u7791 -g2108 0 smtp \
  /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

Robbie