[ale] Using PCMCIA services under Suse 5.3 on Toshiba Satellite 490CDT

Steve Lewis sglewis at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 11 08:33:24 EST 1999

I installed Red Hat 5.2 on a new Toshiba Satellite 4010CDT before Christmas.
I experienced troubles with PCMCIA until I downloaded the latest version of
the PCMCIA drivers and compiled them into my kernel.  The Toshiba's have a
new PCMCIA controller chip set that require the newest drivers to work.  Red
Hat came with 3.0.5, but I didn't have any luck until I got 3.0.6.  In fact
3.0.7 just came out and cam be downloaded at
ftp://csb.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/  I've had problems with my network card,
but the documentation that came with the driver states that it is under
construction.  I'll be downloading 3.0.7 later today to see if it fixes my
card.  The updates seem to be coming out fairly quickly.

A good place to look for PCMCIA issues is
http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html

You should also check out the Linux laptop page at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Hope this helps

Steve Lewis