[ale] Slackware kernel upgrade

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Fri Jan 8 09:52:38 EST 1999

Hello...

I am running Slackware 3.6 and have upgraded my kernel from the
(as shipped) 2.0.35 to 2.0.36 (via patching with patch-2.0.36).

1.  After upgrading the kernel (& modules), I get the following
    diagnostic in my bootup "list":

insmod: iBCS: no module by that name found

I did a "make modules" and "make modules_install" just like
the README said & yet it looks like the make is failing to
properly deal with this.  On further investigation, it looks
like I've nuked my iBCS binaries.  How can I get them back?
Operation of "setup," "pkgtool" and "installpkg" eludes me at
this time (ie. I can't get them to work "right" & don't want
to clobber anything I've already done on my system.)

2.  I get the following in my syslog:

Jan  7 08:55:54 darkstar kernel: Symbol table has incorrect version number.

Is there any way to correct this?

Doc & FAQ pointers welcome.  Please cc reply to me.

Many thanks,

-kc