[ale] ViRGE/VX card not Xing in 5.2

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 7 16:51:40 EST 1999

> During an RH 5.2 install (not upgrade), card is recognized but after the X
> probing (i.e., after the normal "blinks"), screen goes dark and stays dark.
>
> If I install RH5.1 and UPGRADE to RH 5.2, X works.

If I remember, correctly, the S3Virge chipsets are supported by both the SVGA
and the S3V servers. I seems to recall that the XFree86 folks plan to do away
with the S3V server and merge it totally into the SVGA server which uses the
XAA architecture for accerlation.

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
"Luck is just one of my many skills." - Isamu from Macross Plus