[ale] Passwords

Jeremy T. Bouse undrgrid at undergrid.net
Thu Jan 7 00:14:17 EST 1999

	Well... I don't know if it's available in other package formats
but Debian has a package call'd 'pwgen' which generates passwords... below
is the package info and some runs with various options... I guess it could
be ran through alien for other package formats...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse
	Sr. System Administrator

Package: pwgen
 pwgen generates random, meaningless but pronounceable passwords. Depending
 on how the program was installed, these words contain either only
 lowercase letters, or upper and lower case mixed, or digits thrown
 in. Uppercase letters and digits are placed in a way that eases
 remembering their position when memorizing only the word.

toons:~$ pwgen
Usage: pwgen \
	[ -acns --alt-phonics --capitalize --numerals --secure ] \
	maxlength [count]
Use the command "pwgen -s maxlen [count]" to generate more secure passwords.

toons:~$ pwgen -a 8
theechu

toons:~$ pwgen -c 8
atheQuu

toons:~$ pwgen -n 8
eyi7riu

toons:~$ pwgen -s 8
@6tgurp=

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Mike Kachline wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 17:35:03 -0500
> From: Mike Kachline <kachline at medept17.coon.gatech.edu>
> To: Terry Lee Tucker <terry at esc1.com>,
>     Atlanta Linux Enthusists <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] Passwords
>
> -----BEGIN PGP DECRYPTED MESSAGE-----
> On Wed, 06 Jan 1999, Terry Lee Tucker wrote:
> >Hi ALE:
> >
> >Does anyone know of a Linux utility which generates a password for
> >users. For example, on a SCO box, when changing a password, you are
> >given the option of letting the system generate a password for you,
> >which is typically a pronounceable string, but not a real word.
> <snip>
> 	I prefer `mcookie | cut -c -8`. The passwords are incredibly cryptic,
> but, that's what I like about them. :)
>
> 									- Mike
> Michael Kachline CS, Georgia Institute of Technlology
> kachline at cc.gatech.edu
> http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline

> Good signature from user "Mike Kachline <kachline at brightstar.gt.ed.net>".
> Key is not certified with a trusted signature.
> -----END PGP DECRYPTED MESSAGE-----

|  Jeremy T. Bouse   -   SouthNet TeleComm Services, Inc.   -   www.STSI.net  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9     |
|   Public PGP key available via email at pgp-public-keys at pgp.UnderGrid.net   |
|  sysadmin at STSI.net   -   NIC Whois: JB5713    -    undrgrid at UnderGrid.net   |
|      promotion, n.: New title, new salary, new office, same old crap.       |