[ale] My boot sector looks dead.

Ben Phillips pynk at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jan 2 15:20:23 EST 1999

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Mike Kachline wrote:

> 	Given that you've got LILO installed in your boot sector, the way I've
> always gotten through this problem is to boot my trusty DOS 6.22 boot disk and
> "fdisk /mbr", then boot/root into Linux and re-install LILO.

Another friend already suggested I try that, actually.  I re-installed LILO
and still only get LI when I boot from that drive, which is why I began
assuming damage to the HD.  (That, and the fact that all this trouble began
after a sudden power outage -- I have no UPS.)

*sigh*  I've been booting off of a floppy with no troubles, so I suppose I
just won't worry about it.  I'd still be interested in where to find an
explanation of first/second stage boot loaders, though, if anyone knows.

                      __   _
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    "If it's a hobby for us and a
pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   job for you, then why are you
                     \__.-._)         '''    doing such a shoddy job?"
		                              -- Linus Torvalds to Microsoft