[ale] uh...huston we have i/o problems

RIBBON ribbon at jaena.ph.net
Fri Feb 12 11:07:51 EST 1999

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, michael mcdermott wrote:

> anyone know how to fix this:
>
> hda: read_intr:status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> hda: read_intr:error=-x40 {UncorrectableError}, LBAsect=7878181, sector=180230
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00, sector 180230
> Error reading block 90115 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
> short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.

	The cause of this error is just because your hard disk has a lot
Bad sectors. As far as i know, you can not fix this error even you used
fsck utility or other stuff or even you re-installed your Linux box. A low
level formatting would not also recover this error. I think, the only
option is to replace your hard disk with a new one and used that spare
hard disk with DOS or Windows installed. But make sure you "mark" all the
Bad sector using NDD utility. I think old NDD can do this, i don't know
about the new one. :)

r i b b o n -|------h o o d
n e t w o r k   s l a v e
.....,,,,;;;;[[[[(((( Let's  Interconnect  Now  Using X ))))]]]];;;;,,,,.....