[ale] Enlightenment not there?

michael mcdermott m at wroth.com
Tue Feb 9 20:36:50 EST 1999

Wandered Inn wrote:

> michael mcdermott wrote:
> >
> > I know, but I am pretty sure that the RPMS are wildly out of date.
>
> I disagree.  Generally, you will find rpms that are a couple of point
> releases back.

I just remember seeing that the rpm install wasn't recommended on the
Enlightenment site a while back. I know that I had absolutely no luck with it.
plus, it doesn't give you choice of where you want to put things when you
install that way, and since i was chided about this I try to keep everything
together in the same place.

> > It is definately not the recommended way to install enlightenment.
> > I tried doing it like that the first time and it never worked.

I completely forgot about the daily snaps too. These are usually very current.
My mistake.

> Who recommends so, certainly not Raster?  I'm currently running an rpm
> version of enlightenment (enlightenment-0.15.0-SNAP-19990120), along
> with an rpm version of gimp.  They work fine.  I've been trying to keep
> this particular machine a completely rpm based install, so as to 'prove'
> that it is possible to create a novice installable/usable solution of
> Linux.  There are a few bleeding edge things that I did download source
> for, but for the most part, I've come pretty close to my rpm 'case
> study.'

That has to be a rough thing to do.

> When it comes to E, inparticular, the daily tarballs are bleeding edge
> stuff, that may not compile, for various reasons.

Yes, I forgot about that.

> > It takes a while to compile some of the libraries though.
>
> True, and for a novice, trying to figure out why a compile fails is
> difficult.  With an rpm solution, it will tell you what you're missing.

I know. I just haven't had any luck at all installing off the rpms, and
everytime I need something its just easier to grab it off of the gnome cvs
server since its just down the hall from me (I think, I seem to recall the some
of the gnome machines moving recently).

and hey, that bleeding edge stuff is cool. :)

--
"Of course the void is nothinginess. By knowing things that exist,
you can know that which does not exist. That is the void."