[ale] Well "Rumour Corrected"

jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com
Tue Feb 9 09:18:56 EST 1999

Last week, Joe helped me get a computer with a bad CPU and a bad monitor
going again for only about $58 and it would have been less if only I had
brought my leftover hardware in.

My main computer at home runs Win95 and I really can't spare the disk space
to make it a dual-boot machine (its two drives are usually full of hundreds
of meg worth of .wav files for a massive CD-R recording project).  I
managed to get this 486 given BACK to me (it was a gift from us to my
in-laws originally, then they replaced it) and after I popped out its
100MHz Overdrive chip and put it in my main computer (it does noise
reductions on .WAV files about 3 times faster with the Overdrive) I
discovered that the second computer wouldn't boot with its original
486/DX33.   Anyway, the point is that the Linux General Store made the
difference between me having a working second computer and not, so I say
BRAVO!

Imagine how much CompUSA would have wanted to fix my machine!

Oh, and by the way, the REAL work began when I took that 486/DX33 machine
home and started to install RH 5.2!  It took several tries - I had problems
with my first disk drive.  It didn't work until I removed EZ-Drive and put
the master/slave jumper in the "alternate" position.

- Jeff

joe <joe at linuxgeneralstore.com> on 02/08/99 07:03:28 PM

Please respond to joe at linuxgeneralstore.com