[ale] Graphical Login

Mike Kachline kachline at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 4 00:04:22 EST 1999

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Michael B Golden wrote:

> 	I have read that xdm can allow graphical login, but I tried it,

> and I don't like it. I have also heard that KDE has something similar
> called kdm. I haven't tried that one yet, so I don't know what it is
> like. I was wondering if there is anything more similar to the login box
> of Win9X that I can use. I just like the look, not necessarily the rest
> of the OS or the insecurity associated with Win9X login. Any ideas?
<snip>

	If you've ever seen the login screen of a Solaris box, you've
pretty much seen KDM. KDM gives a username/password prompt with buttons to
select which "session" you want (ie KDE, failsafe, fvwm, etc), whether to
clear the login box etc.

	IMHO, "out of the box", KDM is not the most secure thing in the
world, but the easiest to configure that I've seen. By default, KDM
presents you with a list of user "icons" to click (instead of typing in
your login name), and the option to have a "shut down" button on the box
too (which is supposed to only show up on the console login). Fortunately
though, these options can be disabled through the KDM configuration gui.
:)

							- Mike
Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech
kachline at cc.gatech.edu