[ale] Newbie modem config: taking time offf

Nick Robinson nicknackr at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 10:23:55 EST 1999

I'm going to take some time off from trying to config this modem.

Everyone has helped me narrow it down to basically a problem with the
script that Linux Config assembles (Redhat 6.0).  I have a couple of emails
to try that will help me do that.  Thanks for that.

I was running RH 6.0 with Gnome and Enlightenment, and it locked up on me
three times: no application would start and I couldn't get it to log out.
The RH 6.0 cdrom from Que was not self-booting, so I had to go back to RH
5.2 to reinstall.  I got in with minicom on 5.2, and quit without
resetting, started pppd, but still no go with accessing the internet.

I never thought I'd say this, but Win98 is beginning to look like the rock
of Gibraltar from my little experience. I'm trying to learn Linux for
(eventually) it's server capabilities to run web pages from my house for
businesses.  But at this rate I'll be retired before I get it configured :-).

I've got other things I must do, so when you don't hear from me for a while
that's the story.

I haven't given up, just taking a break.

Thanks again to everyone, Nick R.