[ale] PCI Modems

naugrim at juno.com naugrim at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 18:30:40 EST 1999

On 28 Dec 99 16:21:39 EST Bill Hamilton <chamilto0516 at netscape.net>
writes:
> I have a Hayes Super Speed V.90/K56flex PCI Modem.  I want to get
> this to work with my AMD K6/Red Hat 6.0 Linux system.  All the HOW-TO
and FAQ's I
> have read indicate that "some" PCI modems work with RH/Linux and "some"
do not.
>  I attempted the install and configuration but failed.  When I `cat
> /proc/pci | more`, I can see the device but I can't find it associated
with any
> of the typical serial port /dev devices. I even went into the bios and
> disabled COM2 thinking that it was trying to pick up one of the primary
COM ports.
> No luck there either.
>
> I have US Robotics internal ISA 33.6 modem installed now.  I used
> jumpers to hardwire it to a specific IRQ and COM address and that seems
to work.

> If you got any ideas, post them here or send them to
> chamilto0516 at netscape.net.
>
> I haven't checked yet but does anyone know if the 2.4 Kernel have
> better PCI support?

	PCI is not the problem. The problem is that many PCI modems are
WinModems which require specific drivers to be able to function. They are
software driven. Manufacturers only release the drivers for Win9X and so
that is all they will work on. In order to make it work on linux, you
would have to have a driver, but the manufacturers are picky about
releasing specs and thus nobody has done it that I know of.  Each
WinModem is different and would require a different driver. This support
will most likely not improve at all in 2.4.x.
	Thus, if you are stuck with a WinModem, you probably can't get it
to work. If the modem you have is one of the few non-WinModem PCI Modems,
then you may be able to get it to work.

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no HTML / MIME / Attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with Attachments.)
RedHat 6.1  (2.2.12) Linux user -- Linux Advocate
Wine User (991114) and advocate -- Microsoft Free