[ale] FTP becoming very slow on mget

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Thu Dec 23 18:33:49 EST 1999

Hi,

I'm asking for a friend, so I hope I'm getting my "facts" correct...

Ftp mget transfers on local (sub)net get very very slow after
having "mgotten" many files.

Example:  ~200 files, about 30-50k each; 1st 20 or so files go
nice & fast (60-80k/sec?), but past those, things get slower &
slower (10s of bps).

When trying with ftp within "mc" (Midnight Commander?), mc
errors-out & gives permission problems.

I noticed that "netstat --inet" spewed out many many ports in
use, apparently by ftp (I can't tell whether control or data),
but they were ports in the 5000 "range."  Also, there is/are
messages in the logs complaining about "sk_bufs" on eth0.  (Not
sure if that is related, but I bet it is...)

"Client"
OS:  Slackware 4.0
Kernel: 2.2.12  (I've already told him to go to 2.2.13; plan to do RSN.)
NIC: 3Com 3c509
CPU: Celeron 300
RAM: 64mb
MB:  Gigabyte, I think, not sure...

"Server" - as above, except 3c905B NIC & Pentium mmx 166 I think.
I don't know about MB.

Machines are on the same hub.

Any ideas on things to look at and/or correct?

Naturally, FAQ & doc pointers are quite welcome.  :)

Many thanks,

-kc

Ken Cochran
Alexander City, Alabama