[ale] Routing Question

Mike Smith masmith at bsat.com
Tue Dec 21 09:48:22 EST 1999

	I have a strange routing question that has just suddenly plagued me as a
cable modem user.

	I have an IP address(209.186.148.191) with a gateway address(209.186.12.1)
which is in a different subnet.  In the not so distant past I was able to
set up the netmask of my IP to 255.255.0.0 and everything was happy.
I could route through my dns servers at 209.186.12.2 and 209.186.12.3 with
no problems.

	As of late, something has happened and I can no longer ping the dns servers
but I can ping the gateway.  I don't have any network errors when I boot up.
I also changed my subnet mask to the cablevision specified 255.255.255.0 and
then I get network errors when I try to set my default gateway. I can't
find the default gateway because it's not in the same subnet.  Any ideas?  I
have been using the command "route add default gw 209.186.12.1 metric 1".
I wonder why it suddenly stopped working?  I have called the cable people
and they basically give you the "We don't support any types of UNIX here"
blurb.