[ale] Comcast internet service

Corbett Nelson cnelson at interliant.com
Mon Dec 20 22:33:30 EST 1999

Yep. Boot to Windows when they come to install. Most of the installers don't
know what linux is and will say they can't install. When it comes to the
telcos it is best to play by their rules when talking to the 1st level
support folks.

Also, they use MAC security on their switches, so if you plan to run a
firewall you'll need to have the installer use that machine for the onsite
install. Alternatively, you can swap nics with your firewall after they do
the install.
You could try to call in and have them reset your port on their switch, but
you'll spend more time on hold than it takes to swap a nic card...

Downside... They don't peer locally so you will traceroute through @home in
California before you hit most other provider networks. This is a major
downside for some as it makes ssh sessions drag when you are 17 hops away
from your office lan. Also, their network is highly oversubscribed and can
be slow during peak hours.

Upside... Even when it is slow, it's still better than a modem!

-c