[ale] SSH under linux

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Dec 20 12:01:11 EST 1999

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 11:25:21AM -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Is SSH distributed under RH 6.1?  I would like to implement this on a piece
> of hardware but I think I must license SSH for each piece of hardware I
> sell.  Is this correct?  The FAQS seem very confusing.

	No.

	Due to export regulations and the fact that RedHat is packaged
in the United States, you won't find hardened crypto bundled in the stock
RedHat distro.  There is some hardened crypto in their commerce package,
but that's export restricted.  Turbo Linux (for sure) and SuSe (I think)
have some bundled crypto like SSH.  This may change with the recent
export regulation changes, but it hasn't yet.

	RedHat RPMs for ssh are available from zedz.net (use to be
replay.com).  Due to recent security advisories, I would go with OpenSSH
<www.openssh.org> instead of ssh.

	As far as licensing issues go...  You don't need to license OpenSSH
but you may have to deal with RSA licensing issues under commercial
circumstances.  For commercial licensing of ssh, you would have to deal
with the F-Secure people in any case.  None of the bundled ssh stuff
(TurboLinux or SuSe) would be the F-Secure licensed for commercial deal and
the RPMs available on the net, certainly wouldn't be.

> Thanks,
> Chris

	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/