[ale] Free XServer[sic] for Windoze ?

John M. Mills jmills at TGA.com
Fri Dec 17 13:40:39 EST 1999

Prasanna -

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Prasanna Subash wrote:
>     I am trying to run xterms from my windows desktop and connect to Linux.
> I know I have seen some free xservers, but I am not sure of the name.
>     I user Hummingbird Exceed, but I wanna use something that is free @
> home.

I suppose you plan to X-Window System applications on the Linux host and
export the GUI to your Win box? Micro-X used to have some (c.1995-6) apps
which would run under your local Win window manager, and present the UI of
a remote X-WS on the PC. Other colleagues were happy with Macs
used the same way, but I don't know what software they used. 'wuarchive'
may have some of these tools hanging around.

You may find that the amount of traffic generated by X-applications
results in a fragile and slow session over a phone line, even running the
window manager locally. This is true for me even today when I export from
one Linux box to another over PPP through my ISP, which I did to diagnose
a Netscape problem.
 Ve r y SSS ll o www ....
 (Of course there must be many apps which run OK like that, but many will
be troublesome.)

Maybe there's a reason we're not all working from X-terminals!

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140
  Norcross, GA 30071-3633