[ale] Free XServer for Windoze ?

Dave Brooks dbrooks at elysium.comstar.net
Fri Dec 17 12:45:38 EST 1999

Well, if you want all-out fun, try VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
by At&T labs.  It basically allows a remote user to connect to the
desktop of a machine (X-Windows, Windows9*, NT, Solaris...) and control
it as if they were sitting there a la PCAnywhere, etc.

But, VNC is free and darned useful.  Not sure of the exact URL, but running
a search for 'VNC' on www.altavista.com yields the correct one as the first
result.

VNC is cool to play with.  On a windows machine, the remote user can actually
move the mouse cursor; on a Linux machine it starts up a different X-session
on host:1 or :2 or whatever, so the X-session on the physical monitor.

Hope it helps!

-Dave

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 12:18:06PM -0500, Prasanna Subash wrote:
>All,
>    I am trying to run xterms from my windows desktop and connect to Linux.
>I know I have seen some free xservers, but I am not sure of the name.
>    I user Hummingbird Exceed, but I wanna use something that is free @
>home.
>
>Prasanna Subash
>Manhattan Associates, Inc