[ale] Newbie help request with DVD

Jeff Singer jdsinger at plex-inc.com
Mon Dec 13 19:06:10 EST 1999

I'm trying to install Red Hat on a system that only has a DVD.  I'm not
concerned with using this drive as a DVD player, only as a surrogate for
a regular cd-rom.  It seems to me this is possible, following the
installation logs I noticed the installation procedure used a default
driver for the DVD drive (the installation actually came off the DVD
drive and used the DVD drive).  However upon starting up linux I have
been extremely unable to successfully mount or locate the DVD drive, and
am at (my limited) wit's end.  At best I get a "not a block device"
message or some such thing.  I figure I just need to trick linux into
thinking my DVD is actually a basic ATAPI IDE cd-rom.  But I can't
figure out how to do this.  Which files do I need to change, and what
data should I change the contents to?  Any help at all would be
appreciated.  Forgive me my lack of familiarity with linux.  I'm dying
to get started learning it, but I do need to have access to cd's.
Thanks in advance!

Jeff Singer