[ale] VALinux IPO

Rob Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 10 10:05:46 EST 1999

> Congratulations are due to those people who got the VA letter as they were
> a part of the success that let VA go public. I hope that Linus got some of
> both RedHat and VA. A little Andover.net and Corel would be nice, too.

Corel has been public for years - not too many months ago anyone could have
bought Corel at $2/share.

Does anyone think that the whole concept of this discussion on this
list would have been bizarre only 1 year ago?

Given the distributed model of the open source movement, no matter how RH or
VA or any chooses to "reward" those who contribute, the system is going to
be imperfect.  For example, did someone grep all the useful GNU tools for
email addresses?  Even if they did, I bet a lot of those email addresses are
no longer valid, since some GNU programs are over 10 years old.  I knew
several GNU-contributors when I was in graduate school, and most of them are
now many email addresses removed from that experience (and some have
permanently blocked it out of their mind).

So no system is perfect, but it is nice that they (RH,VA) put a system in
place.

What is even more baffling about RH and VA's market caps is that the
offerings for both (I know for RH) are only for 10% of the company ....

Dr. Robert Butera, Assistant Professor                       GGGG
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering		    G
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences		    G   GGGTTTTT
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 		    G    G   T
contact info --> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/    GGGG    T