[ale] ntp on the wrong port?

Robert L. Harris nomad at rnd-consulting.com
Wed Dec 8 23:50:18 EST 1999

Ok,
  I'm trying to get xntpd configured for my local lan.  I run xntpd
on my localserver and I can't connect.  According to /etc/services
it should be running on:

ntp             123/tcp
ntp             123/udp                         # Network Time Protocol

and when I run lsof to see what it's really doing I get this:

{0}:lh:/root>lsof -i | grep -i ntp
xntpd     3863 root    5u  IPv4   5813       UDP *:ntp
xntpd     3863 root    6u  IPv4   5814       UDP localhost:ntp
xntpd     3863 root    7u  IPv4   5815       UDP lh.rnd-consulting.com:ntp

However when I try to telnet to any of the ports I dont get a
bloody thing to connect...

All I want is my timeserver to sync to an upstream like ntp.nasa.gov
and my clients to sync to him.  Wether it's polled or broadcast I really
dont care at this point.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                |  Low quality in a product happens.
Senior System Engineer          |    That doesn't mean it's right and
  at Global Commerce Systems.   |      and defintely doesn't mean it should
                                 \_      be accepted.  Require quality.

http://www.rnd-consulting.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: