[ale] Ip Masq using RH 6.1

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.Gsu.EDU
Tue Dec 7 00:32:18 EST 1999

Hello Ale,
  Sorry to be a bother, but I did a 'clean' install to 6.1 from 5.2.  I
have most everything up and running.  I've run into a problem or two
regarding trying to ipmasq under 6.1.  Worked fine under RH 5.2.

Here's where I'm at:
1.)  Have recompiled the kernel (2.2.13) to include Network firewalls,
TCP/IP networking, IP: firewalling, IP: Masquerading, and IP: ICMP
masquerading.  Note: I DID NOT see the IP: forwarding/gatewaying option in
xconfig (might be my problem.)
2.)  Have set FORWARD_IPV4 to true in /etc/sysconfig/network
3.)  Used ipfwadm2ipchains to update my policies.  See below:

Under ipfwadm:
ipfwadm -F -f
ipfwadm -F -p accept
ipfwadm -F  -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

Under ipchains:
ipchains -F forward
ipchains -P forward ACCEPT
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

I can telnet and ftp between my machine and my wife's machine under linux
(on both machines) and Win95 (on her end :)  I'm sure I'm missing something
 simple.  I have the RH docs, but have not found where my issue is
addressed.  If someone can point me in the right direction, I would
appreciate it.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Unix System Programmer     |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-2639               |  BBROYGBVGW            |