[ale] Timing Issues

Joe Steele joe at madewell.com
Wed Dec 1 19:43:04 EST 1999

A few facts (at least I think they are facts):

1)  When you use linuxconf to change the UTC setting, the change is written to /etc/sysconfig/clock.  The same result could be obtained by editing the file directly.

2)  The ARC option in the /etc/sysconfig/clock file is relevant to Alpha machines only.

3)  The UTC setting in the /etc/sysconfig/clock is used when the machine is booted to set the kernel's system clock (which is always on UTC) from the hardware (CMOS) clock.  If you were to study /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, you would see that one or the other of the following commands is executed on startup, depending on the setting of UTC in the /etc/sysconfig/clock file:
     /sbin/hwclock --hctosys
or
     /sbin/hwclock --hctosys --utc
As far as I know, this is the only time the /etc/sysconfig/clock file is used, and it is the only time the hardware clock is used as a time source.

4)  The hwclock program does not use the /etc/sysconfig/clock file.  Therefore, the program does not have any way of knowing whether your hardware clock is set to local time or to UTC time.  The purpose of the --utc option is to inform the program which way you have set the clock.

The command "hwclock --show" will show you the true setting of the hardware clock.  If the result matches the local time, then your hardware clock is set to local time.

The command "hwclock --show --utc" will read the hardware clock and will subtract 5 hours from it before displaying the time (assuming your local timezone is EST).

5)  There is no automatic coordination of the UTC setting in the /etc/sysconfig/clock file and the actual way your hardware clock is set.  It is up to you to make sure they are coordinated.  Otherwise, when your system reboots, the system time will be set wrong.

6)  When you are running xntpd, the hardware clock is set from the system clock after every 11 minutes.  This means that the hardware clock will be set to UTC. You should use the same setting in your /etc/sysconfig/clock file.

7)  The biggest annoyance I find with having the hardware clock set to local time is that you will probably forget to change it when the time changes.  You will never notice it until one day when you reboot the machine and the time is wrong.

--Joe