[ale] browser recc's?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Aug 31 08:56:38 EDT 1999

All this talk regarding Netscape and browsers prompts me to make a
comment.

I remember the days when Netscape releases were as plentiful as Linux
kernels.  Well almost.  Now, with the sale of Netscape to AOL, it's
obvious to me that browsers are the last thing they are concerned with.
I posted a similar concern to a another list, complaining at the same
time about the progress of Mozilla.  I was flamed well done by one of
the Mozilla developers.

The point is, when it comes to Linux, there are very few choices in REAL
browsers.  My point is, I'm trying to get Linux accepted at work, as a
desktop solution.  This is a big job, since I work at a large
corporation.  For a browser to be remotely considered, it has to have
complete functionality.  The last time I looked at Mozilla, it was nice,
but had a very basic look, two buttons if I recall, back and forward.
Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in a business environment.  Right
now, I do virtually all my work under Linux.  GIMP for images,
Applixware for docs and spreadsheets, vi for web page development,
Apache to test locally.  I find Navigator sufficient to test and browse
with, but I wish there where other options.

The bottom line is, when it comes to Linux, there is one browser that is
sufficient, and that is Netscape.  It's unfortunate there's not more
work going on in this area.  It's also unfortunate that Netscape/AOL is
not doing anything more to advance this browser.

Feel free to share other possibilities, but I've yet to see other
browser solutions that provide the functionality that Navigator does,
and I've got to at least keep up with IE.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl