[ale] Networking Problems

Michael A. Smith masmith at bsat.com
Wed Aug 25 13:40:32 EDT 1999

	The fact that you can ping your computer from your computer tells me that
the loopback works.  This doesn't necessarily mean your network card is
working.  You might want to run ifconfig -a to see if its really working.
When you run it, you should see a listing for lo which has an address of
127.0.0.1 and another listing(sorry, I am on a sun box right now) maybe eth0
that has your ip address.  If this is true, it sounds like a gateway or
routing problem.  Since you are not using dns, you will have to set up a
hosts file and you will need to set your routing file(I think its
routed.conf) to hosts, dns.  My guess is your network card is the
culprit.......