[ale] Peer To Peer Networking

Jeff Dilcher dilcher at cueva.com
Tue Aug 24 21:58:42 EDT 1999

>   Here is my next question on the never ending list of no-brainers.  At
> work we have a network consisting of Windoze95 boxes slapped together.
> I installed Redhat 5.2 on a computer ( duh, what else ) that is a
> dual-boot w/ Windoze.  Winders works fine on the
> computer/hardware/network, but I want to use Linux instead.  I set up
> the /etc/hosts file and eth0 is supposedly active ( that's what the
> control panel says ).  We have no dhcp, bootp or DNS system.  I can ping
> the machine's localhost as well as the static ip I assigned during
> install.

All good so far.....

> All the documentation I have read says I need to configure he
> DNS services,

What are you hoping to accomplish?  If you add the IP addresses of a
DNS server, then when you attempt to connect from the Red Hat box
to the internet, then the names are resolved to IP addresses.

I am not sure the text file to edit, but in Linuxconf, I believe, you
can change a setting that allows you to specify "name servers".  This
is the same as DNS.  Just put in the ip address(es) of the DNS server(s)
you use on the other windows boxes on your network.

You probably need to define a "gateway".  This is the machine which routes
your datagrams out onto the internet/other networks.  Ask you system admin
on your network what that IP is, and enter it into the proper location
with Linuxconf.

If you can ping other machines on your network, then your TCP/IP is working.

If you can ping the IP of machines outside your network, then your gateway is
set up.

If you can ping the IP address of machines outside your network, but not
the name of the machine, then your DNS settings are amiss.

Good luck!

but I am not sure how to if I have nothing to configure.