[ale] locked serial port

John Hendry John.Hendry at glenayre.com
Mon Aug 23 12:19:54 EDT 1999

I have a locked serial port that I cannot seem to unlock.  I've looked
in all the customary spots for locks: i.e. /var/lock and
/var/spool/uucp.  The Serial HOWTO talked about lock files in
/usr/spool/uucp but I don't have one of those.  I have tried deleting
the device and re-creating it.  I have shutdown and restarted.  I can't
seem to get anywhere.

I am running RH6.0 Linux 2.2.5-15.  I am the sole user.  It is my
development machine.  I am trying to link two Linux boxes via serial
cable to see if I can write text from one box and read from the other.
But I guess I screwed something up.

Can you suggest a way to unlock my /dev/cua1 port?