[ale] What "free" mail/news reader do you recommend ?

John Mills Jmills at TGA.com
Thu Aug 19 09:10:04 EDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEEA44.26E81FD8

CT- I would like as small and simple a mail/news reader
CT- as possible that is widely available for use on
CT- various unices.

You might look into 'pine' from U.of WA.
Pro:
Simple, free, MIME-aware, builds from source, does mail and news, improved
regularly by institutional support and active users.
Con:
Console app (no mouse integration),clunky editor (but you can assign your
preferred alternate), and you may want to get a local copy of your ISP's
.newsrc with another reader (tin?), sent as mail, or ... - 'pine' is unhandy
to navigate available, unsubscribed newsgroups.

I use 'fetchmail' to locally spool incoming mail tranparently to 'pine', and
my '.pinerc' points to the ISP's servers to send mail and read news.

Don't have the URL, but there is probably an executable on most Linux
'contrib' CDs. Then check for updates.

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.
  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140
  Norcross, GA 30071-3633
  e-mail: jmills at tga.com
  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)
         770-449-7740 (FAX)

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEEA44.26E81FD8

</pre>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: [ale] What &quot;free&quot; mail/news reader do you =
recommend ?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>CT- I would like as small and simple a mail/news =
reader </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>CT- as possible that is widely available for use on =
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>CT- various unices.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You might look into 'pine' from U.of WA.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Pro:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Simple, free, MIME-aware, builds from source, does =
mail and news, improved regularly by institutional support and active =
users.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Con:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Console app (no mouse integration),clunky editor =
(but you can assign your preferred alternate), and you may want to get =
a local copy of your ISP's .newsrc with another reader (tin?), sent as =
mail, or ... - 'pine' is unhandy to navigate available, unsubscribed =
newsgroups.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I use 'fetchmail' to locally spool incoming mail =
tranparently to 'pine', and my '.pinerc' points to the ISP's servers to =
send mail and read news.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Don't have the URL, but there is probably an =
executable on most Linux 'contrib' CDs. Then check for updates.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  TGA Technologies, Inc.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Norcross, GA 30071-3633</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  e-mail: jmills at tga.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>  Phone: 770-441-2100 ext.124 (voice)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>         =
770-449-7740 (FAX)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>