[ale] Microsoft Exchange

linuxhat at mailandnews.com linuxhat at mailandnews.com
Mon Aug 16 19:01:55 EDT 1999

On 16 Aug 1999, JANINDRA at MS.NDCORP.COM wrote:

> Can anyone point me to docs, etc.. about getting Linux to work with
> Microsoft Exchange Server. I have the luxury of getting to use Linux at work
> however, I have a Windows machine so I can still read my mail. I really
> would like to move that to Linux as well and give that Win machine more idle
> CPU cycles for RC5.

Bribe, browbeat, cajole, threaten with a cat-o'nine-serial-cables, or
otherwise induce the Ex$ange admin to turn on the IMAP/LDAP backend, then
use pine according to the docs.  Works wonderfully.  (This also works with
Netscape for the sadistic.)  Make sure you're using at least Pine 4.05 for
best results; there were a LOT of bugfixes at 4.x, including attachments.
(Current version of pine, 4.10, works equally well on my 2.0.36 laptop and
my 2.2.10 desktop....)  One caveat on Pine; it zealously enforces RFC 822,
and may have trouble swallowing non-compliant messages.  Good idea to have
a backup reader handy if you're going to be getting a lot of email from
outside the Exchange community...

-- Glenn