[ale] Modems and Red Hat 6.0n

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 9 00:07:30 EDT 1999

> Hey... I have very confused.  I know that Linux
> doesn't support PCI modems or does it?  If it does
> that's great (it's faster) however I also have a
> non-pci modem, how do I install it in Red Hat ?

Linux does not support WinModems. WinModem require special drivers to make them
work. No one has currently written these drivers for linux for various reasons.
Most PCI modems on the market today are WinModems. So if you have a wind modem,
then you can't use it under linux.

To install your non-pci modem under linux, you need to know what COM port the
modem is configured for. The modem will be reported as a serial port in linux.
When linux boots, it scans the serial ports. You can see which oens it sees by
typing "dmesg | grep tty". For example, on my machine I get:

root at localhost /root]# dmesg | grep tty
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
root at localhost /root]#

To configure things in linux, I blieve you can run the "control-panel"
application and then go to the modem configuration tool and tell it what com
port you have and its happy. Yo can then use tools such as "minicom" if you
want to dialup to a BBS or you can use the network configuration tool to
configure dialup ppp.

hope this helps

Darkness has a hunger that's insatiable   Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
Lightness has a call that's hard to hear  http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/